Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fireflies, Tornadoes, Humidity!




I just wanted to post about the fireflies I saw tonight. I had heard that Nebraska had them and hadn't ever seen one until now! I just walked downstairs to close my blinds for the night and off our deck I saw tons of little sparkling lights lighting up the cornfield and grass behind our house. At first I was trying to figure out what it was then I realized it has to be the fireflies! I would try to get a movie but I don't think night shot would pick it up. It is really neat to see! As I looked and pondered the creation of such an interesting bug I was amazed at how even the smallest creation of our Heavenly Father is such a miracle.


The other things that are new to us being in Nebraska are the tornadoes and the humidity. So far we have had one real tornado warning. It looks like we could have another one tonight. I was just outside trying to get footage of the fireflies when my neighbor came out on his back porch to look at the sky. He said that he used to live in Grand Island and was there when the big tornado spree hit that they based the film "Night of the Twisters" off of. He said that there is a tornado that has touched down just south of here. If we hear the sirens go off I will have to get Alexis out of bed and head downstairs to and wait by the stairwell till the warning passes. Too bad we don't have a basement! The humidity has definitely been felt so far too. Especially the last two days.


Disappointing movie! You can't see any of the fireflies on the movie after I took a half an hour to upload it. I thought I would keep it on here for those interested in hearing the bugs, trains, and birds. Sorry you can't see the fireflies!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Tornadoes are scary! Tornadoes were new to me when we lived in Kansas!!! I hated feeling like the weather controlled my life. Anytime the sky would get gray I got nervous. We didn't have a basement either. We lived on the 2nd floor of our apartment complex. One day I called our land lord to ask what we were supposed to do if a tornado were closeby, and all she said was, "make friends with someone on the 1st floor." Ha, that was comforting! :)

Mike and Stacie said...

That's kinda scary (about the tornados, not the fireflies)

Lisa said...

I remember in Iowa having a tornado touch down about 8 miles from my work. We had to all run to the basement of the building. But, before we went downstairs, I went and looked outside with my friend Jessi. The sky was this weird greenish color. Black, too, but it had this green look. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fireflies! I can remember when I discovered them in Iowa! I just love that I have a sister living in the Midwest since I lived there too and can have common experiences!